Friday, March 28, 2014

FFwD - Vegetable Barley Soup with the Taste of Little India

Vegetable Barley Soup with the Taste of Little India
This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is seasoned with garam masala. I don't care for garam masala. Whole Foods sells it in the bulk spice section so I didn't have to buy much. I knew I wouldn't want to cook with it often. In fact, I was prepared to dislike this soup entirely. So, happy surprise! I actually liked it. I don't love it but I like it.

Its easy to make and Dorie suggests starting with 3/4 teaspoon of garam masala. I kept it there and added quite a generous amount of red pepper flakes. Barley isn't something I normally (ever) cook with and the kind I bought needed an hour to cook. Still it was a simple soup that feels good on an already sore throat (allergy season in Oklahoma). I think chicken or beef would be good  in this and I'm looking for a recipe for beef and barley soup to use up my barley. If you have a good recipe would you leave me a link? Thank you!
Snowshoe Bread
To go with the soup I baked nan from a beautiful book called Home Baking by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. This is a beautiful book of home baked goodies from around the world. Everything I've made from it has been delicious!

I'm behind in my blogging! Luckily my cooking is almost up to date but I've been a bad, bad blogger. I hope to be getting back in the groove. These things are hard to predict though!
Love my little RV!

I have one RV trip under my belt! My son and his wife went with me and I was able to manage everything except loosening one cap to empty the septic system. Once I find a new cap I will be ready to try it on my own. Except for backing. I know, I know! Its kind of a biggie but I'll get it figured out.

Happy spring everyone!

14 comments:

  1. You can make a nice grain salad with the barley using any recipe you have and then add it to salads or as a side. Its how I used up the last barley we had because its not my normal soup thing. I enjoyed the spice taste but I probably wouldn't go for it if we used it commonly. I enjoyed this week but then I really just love SOUP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this recipe. It was a bit different with the spices, but I love the barley with all the vegetables. Good for
    you with your RV trips. You must really be having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Trevor said :-)
    I make beef barley soup, but never use a recipe. It's usually just a veggie soup with leftover beef simmered into it. (Some times I throw biscuits on top - because barley + biscuit isn't overkill, right???)
    I'm impressed with your RV skills. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use my barley in several of the soups I make, instead of noodles. Sometimes I even add them to stews! I really love any type of grain. And Trevor is right, they are great in salads. Your soup looks mouthwatering…glad you enjoyed it!
    Guyla, I am very impressed that you are taking the RV out on your own! Wow! Just make sure you park where you can pull straight out!! LOL! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohh...you look like you're have fun. Love your little bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were pleasantly surprised! I love garam masala, and am looking forward to trying this soup. Your naan looks fantastic! I've tried to make it a few times, and have never been impressed with the outcome. Yours looks good enough to make me want to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your soup looks good, and the square bowls are cute. Have fun with the RV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not normally liking barley or garam masala I'm impressed that you made this soup. So glad you found it OK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad this one surprised you. I had the opposite experience. I love Indian flavors and expected to like this one, but did not.
    Very impressed with your RV adventure. I would be scared to maneuver something that big. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt about this pretty much as you did...good, but there are so many soups I like better! Hope you've had a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your soup looks wonderful - and the recipe your are looking for, beef and barley, sounds like the recipe my grandma used to make, now if only she had made a note of it...then I would send it to you!
    Respect for your RV adventure - I agree with Betsy on this one, I would be way too scared for attemting anything like this! But I am sure that it is quite wonderful!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone has answered your barley soup question so I won't bother. Let's get straight to the Snowshoe Bread. Love the name and the bread looks delicious. After I comment, I am going to check out that book. Never heard of either of those authors. Did you just buy the RV? I think it's a real adventure and am very proud that you're learning to handle it on your own. I suspect you and Gary will be doing this together??? but you need to be able to drive it also. We took an RV trip with the kids and had to deflate the tires to get out of a parking garage at one destination. So, watch out for those low garages. And, someone didn't close the fridge door tightly and an entire Tupperware pitcher of OJ fell out and spilled all over the floor. That was nice! My only two RV stories. We went to DC and up through Nova Scotia and back to Iowa. Loved that trip. Have fun and tell us about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your naan looks beautiful. I'm glad you liked the soup after all, too. And your RV adventure sounds fun - much better to go travelling than to keep your blog perfectly updated, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lola, you are a brave soul to drive an RV. I could not imagine doing so myself. Kudos to you! As Mary mentioned, looking forward to stories of your RV travels. Your soup looks lovely, and the naan looks delicous - we l o v e naan!

    ReplyDelete