Thursday, March 6, 2014

FFwD - Only One of Two Tartines

This week's French Friday assignment was Two Tartines From La Croix Rouge. La Croix Rouge was a fashionable cafe in Paris that is evidently closed. I googled it for info and found a page that said closed. Too bad. It sounded like it had everything going for it!
Tartine Saint-Germain
I skipped the Tartine Norvégienne because we don't like smoked salmon. However, the Tartine Saint-Germain is delicious! Since it is such an easy recipe, more a set of instructions, I decided to make my mayonnaise. The only other time I've done this was for Hélène's All-White Salad and people, we loved it! I mean loved it!
The mayonnaise was my favorite part!
Dorie's mayonnaise recipe is on page 490 of Around My French Table. She says use 1/2-1 cup of oil and 1/4 teaspoon of Dijon or more if you like it more 'piquant' and I do! From the previous mayonnaise I learned that salt and pepper are essential to bring out the flavor of the oil and egg so I used both liberally.  Seriously,  you don't need roast beef or smoked salmon or anything else. I could eat it with a spoon!
Delicious with pickles and grapes. Does that sound weird?
We had this for a late lunch with a glass of wine. I admit I love drinking in the day. It makes me feel like I'm on vacation! Okay I just read that statement. Makes it sound like I'm one step away from a 12 step program.


Don't forget to add salt and pepper to the sandwich. They bump the flavor to the next level!

Its one step forward and one step back on the blog relocation and redo! Yep, that means I'm standing in place! And yes, it is frustrating. I WILL be there by Easter and hopefully sooner!

Go to the French Friday website to see what the other French Friday cooks thought.

13 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm.....you've made me hungry again for tartines! And I bet they're even more amazing with homemade mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guyla, cudos for making your own mayo to go with the lovely Tartine St-Germain - your late lunch of Tartine St-Germain with red grapes and some wine looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, way to go. I happily took the easy way out this week and went with store bought mayo. I like the homemade, but I do not like making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the beef version. I like smoked salmon so I happily guzzled both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos for making Dorie's mayo as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you had it right to make your own mayo.. jar stuff just didn't have enough flavor to make the sandwich interesting, but I do have to say that jarred horseradish sauce did work well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to make your own mayo - it's been a while for me, but that's always delicious! Your tartines look wonderful. I agree about that glass of wine - it really made these seem like a special cafe-worthy treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made mayo in such a long time...yours looks luscious! As does your whole lunch! Elegant lunches call for a glass of wine! Love your first photo, Guyla! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you go with that homemade mayo! (I don't think you need a 12-step yet - a glass of wine in the middle of the day sounds lovely!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing like homemade mayo. This was an excellent excuse for some. Your tartine look delicious. And I might follow your lead for daytime drinking when I feel like I want to be on vacation! Hope you have a great weekend. Guyla.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to make the mayonnaise in Dorie's cookbook. I loved the roast beef tartine - it was fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wine in the afternoon is sophisticated, of course! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, how smart am I? I didn't even know Dorie had a mayonnaise recipe in our cookbook. Duh. I made my own also but used David Lebovitz's recipe. It did take the tartine up a notch, didn't it. My new site is going to go live this Friday. I started this project at the end of last year. Still don't understand all the bells and whistles. It's a process...... And, as for drinking during the day. I usually have my main meal in the middle of the day - 1pm or 2pm - (I live alone so it's easier to make that work.) I always have a glass of wine. For some insane reason it makes me feel more civilized. Since I am in wine country this winter and posting so many photos of wine bottle, my brother is considering admitting me to a 12-point program. Maybe, Lola, we could go together. File our French Friday Posts from the "home".

    ReplyDelete