Friday, April 11, 2014

FFwD - Quiche Maraîchère


Quiche Maraîchère
This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe is for Quiche Maraîchère, a quiche made with lots of fresh vegetables and very little egg custard. It is delicious and easy to make and very versatile. The recipe calls for leeks but since no leeks were available at the supermarket nearby I used 1/2 an onion and a clove of garlic instead. Also, since I was planning to serve mine as an hors d'oeuvres, I added a generous pinch of red pepper flakes. Delicious!!! You should try it. You really should.

Loved our Manhattans!
And the cocktail! We made old fashioned Manhattans. I had forgotten how much I love them. Nothing fancy here. I had no rye whiskey which is the traditional choice for a Manhattan so I used Jim Beam Bourbon. Cinzano Italian Vermouth, also known as sweet vermouth, a couple of dashes of Angostura Bitters shaken with ice then poured into a martini glass with a maraschino cherry. A few drops of water help mellow out the flavor if desired.  We loved it and it was perfect with the spicy quiche.

Visitandine
I made last week's Visitandine, several times actually, but never got to the blogging part. The cake was good, versatile, easy to make but I didn't love it. Its a very thin cake. I even baked one of them in a 6" springform pan and it worked fine!

Visit all the French Friday websites to see everyone's take on this unusual quiche. It was one of my favorite recipes to date!



17 comments:

  1. wish I had known there was a rye shortage. . .I'd have been glad to send some down!! Love a good Manhattan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks delicious. And cocktails too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like your and Gary's style, Guyla. Also, everytime one of you Doristas makes something in a long tart pan, I put it on my envy list and then forgettaboutit until I see the next picture! Love the look of that and what turns your quiche so easily into an app. Your add-ins were good ones. Sorry you didn't like the Visitandine more - I loved that cake. I tried to e-mail you the flatbread recipe last week and it got returned. I sent it to lolalive2day@blogspot.com Will you send me a better e-mail address so I can get this recipe to you? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. Your quiche looks wonderful and very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Manhattan is my favorite drink. Good with everything and no doubt added a fine flair to your quiche appetizer! I love how you used the rectangle pan for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's what my quiche was missing! A good cocktail to go along with it. I like your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are really lovely…looks like you’ve been reading over some of the notes form the IFBC! I really loved the Visitandine…I think it will be my cake of choice this summer, topped with fruit, of-course! Your quiche looks terrific along with that great Manhattan! Nice post! Have a great weekend, Guyla!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manhattan's are fantastic! Just reading this has put me in the mood for one. Love the shape of your quiche - you just convinced me to add that to my King Arthur cart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to pair this quiche with Manhattans! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shape of your tart pan (looks like I'm not alone). It adds an extra ash of elegance. The cocktails sound good too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks lovely, Guyla! I love my rectangular pan; it just seems easier to achieve neater slices and I think I can get extra servings this way. One day I will have to try a Manhattan. On another note.. not sure if you saw my reply to your comment on my hiking blog - I made you an honorary "Wild Woman"! ;) If you are ever in Northern CA (Bay Area), I would love to hike with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the rectangular shape of your quiche - perfect for cutting finger sized portions. Your Visitandine also looks good with the bottle of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guyla, great minds think alike, of course, don´t you just love those rectangular quiche pans, they make for a very nice presentation. And your Market Quiche looks wonderful baked in that tart pan, so very colorful and full of veg and lovely melted cheese. The Visitandine was rather well received at our house, I read that the French often serve it just plain and with a cup of hot cocoa - on its own it is rather plain and I think it should certainly be served with a little something "on the side".
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love the rectangle pan (easier to slice into tidy pieces too). The quiche looks lovely, but I would take that Manhattan first :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have both the Manhattan and your lovely quiche! I have an extra tart shell in that same pan in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the rectangular tart very much! I don't have one of those pans and I have to confess that I ordered one from e-bay! When it arrives I will make the tart again! Not that I need and excuse but...you know..Your tart looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty shape! I have a square tart pan, but you're making me want to get a rectangular one, now. What a great idea to add the pepper flakes, too!

    ReplyDelete