Friday, July 12, 2013

FFwD - Whole Cherry Clafoutis

Yippee! I'm on time. I think it's the first time in 3 weeks!  Life has been busy, good busy mostly.
Whole Cherry Clafoutis
I like clafoutis! I've never made one myself but I have a friend who makes them.  Hers are more cakey than this one, though, and a bit less eggy. This was good and easy to prepare. Egg custard with cherries is what Gary said. "What's not to love?" I have to agree. I debated the pit issue, to remove or not remove. I decided to follow the recipe and leave the pits. Next time I think I'll remove them though.

The only issue I had was it wouldn't set!  I had to cook for 18 additional minutes! What's up with that? My oven temp is accurate, or my thermometer and over gauge say the same temp at least. When I googled the issue there are several posts out there about clafoutis not setting.  Hummm......

While searching I came across this wonderful LA Times article about a blind Clafoutis baker in France.  Its worth a click and a read!

I'm caught up on cooking!  I made the socca and while its good right out of the oven I wasn't crazy about it. Now what to do with a bag of garbanzo flour?
Socca from Veaux Nice

The wheat berry and tuna salad was a big hit! I'll make this again as we love tuna and this was a nice change.
Wheat Berry and Tuna Salad
We are deep into summer here in Oklahoma!  I wish a nice rain and a cool breeze for everyone.  Happy French Fridays with Dorie everyone!

17 comments:

  1. It looks like your clafoutis turned out great even with the setting issue! Glad you were able to catch up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guyla, my clafoutis took forever to cook too - but I loved it in the end. Ha,ha, I am with you on the garbanzo flour - when you find out what to d with it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guyla, Great catch up week! Clafoutis is a favorite dessert for me…I adore anything custard! Yours looks lovely…so do your other dishes. I loved the wheat berry salad. I had to bake my clafoutis longer than it called for in the recipe, too! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know Guyla I bake all of Dorie's recipes 25 degrees higher than she says. If not they never set or take for ever in my oven. Pitless is definitely the way to go. You will enjoy it more next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to make the socca and the salad, I'm behind on those :) your clafoutis looks great and if it makes you feel better, mine had to bake for just over an hour before it set... hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. your clafoutis looks nice. even mine took a little longer to set. but that happens with a lot of Dorie recipes. so i didn't worry about it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice round up.

    You can use the extra garbanzo flour to make hummus, believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice catch up! I'm hoping to follow suit, soon. My mom uses garbanzo flour all the time - she mixes it with curry and other spices or herbs, then uses the mixture to dredge thin slices of eggplant, which she pan fries. It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm only like a year late - so three weeks is nothing for you! I loved the wheatberry salad, but haven't posted, working on the Socca. Happy Bastille Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hit a triple this week, Guyla. You may be a bit late but you've got them done. I've yet to make Socca so I have an entire unopened bag of garbanzo flour to use. I can make hummus with it???? You try that first and then let me know. I loved the wheat berry and tuna salad. You and I are both clafoutis fans. Pitted cherries all the way. I baked mine as long as you did - I wanted the center to be firm. I seem to have to cook all Dorie's recipes a bit longer. Glad you are enjoying your Summer. Your part of the country deserves a break with weather. Nice Post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All three dishes look wonderful. The Whole Cherry Calfoutis was a nice and easy dessert and your version looks quite delicious. The Socca was interesting too and I enjoyed everyone´s interpretation of this recipe. The Wheat Berry Salad that you prepared looks so appetizing and pretty - I have made this recipe four times since we made it for the FFwD group - this is our new family (and friends) favorite! What a round-up - hope all is well and you are enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice catch-up! I haven't made the socca yet, but I enjoyed the other two dishes, especially the clafoutis. Your salad looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mine took longer too, but I have learned that most of Dorie's dishes which require oven time need longer in my oven than hers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MIne took a wee bit longer, but I know my oven is a wee bit off. I really liked the socca but didnt' make the salad. Your clafoutis looks just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm late for last week. I never had/made clafoutis before, but enjoyed it. As for all that garbanzo flour, the bag I bought had a recipe for falafel that I am going to try. I'll let you know if it's good. I hope you got that rain and cool breeze. I'm still waiting.

    ReplyDelete