Friday, July 26, 2013

FFwD - Dieter's Tartine

You take one look at the list of ingredients and just know this is good! How could it not be?  Its the middle of summer here so tomatoes are fresh and delicious.  Recently, while visiting our grandson in Dallas, we had Armenian cucumbers. The skin is thin and mild and there are no seeds to speak of.  They are similar to an English or hothouse cucumber but a bit more flavorful.  I was happy to find them at our local Farmer's Market.
Dieter's Tartine
I just toasted baguette slices and spread them with goat cheese.  I had some in the fridge that needed to be used and in the interest of cooking what I have I used goat cheese but I will look for fromage blanc another time.  Very occasionally I see it at the cheese store.

Since my basil plant is going crazy I used basil instead of chives and I couldn't pass on the olive oil.  Everything was fresh and delicious and I can't wait to make it again. These could be a great light lunch but since we ate most of a baguette and a roll of goat cheese I'm not sure it was a diet lunch!

And then......we had pie! I found This great recipe recently at the Taste of Home web site. I used the tart dough recipe to make a pie crust for a cherry, peach and blackberry pie! To. Die. For. This is my new go to recipe for a crust.

I hope all the French Friday cooks had a good week.  Don't forget to head over and check out everyone's blog.

15 comments:

  1. Pie, Pie, Pie! Now I need Zorbas and Pie :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in favour of goat cheese for these and I vote for that pie, too! Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was definitely a winner and I can't wait to try it with the goat cheese. Yours looks so good, and I love the basil.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lola, this looks delicious! I could eat that for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Actually it would make a great light dinner on a hot summer evening with a glass of wine. I'd be a happy camper - especially after eating the pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A terrible confession from me - I read the ingredients and thought "bleh". However, I made it anyway - and I liked it! Glad you enjoyed it. Although if I come around to yours, I would prefer some of that scrummy pie ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful lunch! There's nothing like fresh tomatoes & basil. And, a beautiful pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used goat cheese too. Great flavor combo. I didn't have chives so skipped fresh herbs, but I wish I'd though of the basil (which I did have outside). Thanks for the pie recipe. Looks amazing. I'm currently visiting my sister and she has a huge blackberry patch. We helped pick 2 buckets full yesterday, so maybe I can get this pie on the menu for later this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goat cheese & basil - yes and yes!
    And that pie - mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tartines! Now off to see your yummy pie recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup- goat cheese has got to be fab. And don't even get me started on how much I would love a slice of that pie right now. A.L.O.T. :) The next best thing was your including the link - thx !! Great job and way to enjoy that fresh basil too ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely team goat cheese too!
    And can I just say that I absolutely HEART that wooden plate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I never heard of an Armenian cucumber I wish there were more varieties of all vegetables in stores. It is getting better but these sound like something I would have to grow myself. Glad you enjoyed the tartine I loved it's simplicity too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're filled with great food news in this Post --- a few carlorie laden items, I might add. As opposed to many food mags, I always seem to find recipes that I actually TRY in Taste of Home. I will look at that pie recipe, Lola. We have peaches now in Colorado and I want to make some pies.
    I liked this tartine and will make it again - with the veggies I have on hand. Try the cottage cheese/sour cream combo (not low fat), it's tasty. An Armenian cucumber --- hmmmmm. My basil plant is not going crazy. I've never had luck with basil . Glad you are having a good Summer and squeezing in a few visits to that grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tartines look delicious! I love the basil, looks absolutely perfect.
    I'm in jealous awe of anyone who grows their own anything! Just the idea overwhelms me.
    And that pie is just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The entrée looks wonderful, but that pie is catching my eye!

    ReplyDelete