Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TwD - Pecan Sticky Buns - BwJ

Pecan Sticky Buns
I want to say up front that we loved these!  Yes, there is an obscene amount of butter in the recipe but not too much sugar so they are very rich but not cloyingly sweet ( remember Hungarian Shortbread?).

This is a fairly straight forward brioche dough and came together beautifully.  Yes, 15 minutes is a long time for the mixer to knead but my Kitchen-Aid soldiered through it fine.  My dough needed almost another 1/3 cup of flour to come together but come together it did into a silky and elastic mass of loveliness.

My only possible complaint was the sticky topping.  Its very sticky!  I wouldn't mind something less sticky but it was delicious!

I saved the second roll of dough in the freeze to make brioche or something. Our hosts for this recipe are Lynn and Nicole.  Thanks for posting the recipes ladies.  Be sure and check out all the TwD cooks and see what they thought!

I've been reading Real Food, What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck .She tells us fat is not our enemy.  Given all I ingested with these sticky buns that's good news!  Now if I could just find raw dairy from grass fed cows and free range chickens that don't cost $20 a bird I'd be a happy cook:)

20 comments:

  1. Beautifully looking Pecan Sticky Buns, Guyla! I am glad that you enjoyed them too. I must admit that I was a wee bit concerned when my Kitchen Aid started to get really warm. But all is well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely.
    After some of my adventures with croissants, this one didn't seem so bad.
    We froze one log to "spread the love" as well :-)
    (I put your link up)
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nicely done...!! fat is not our friend.. i think we all need to hear that after this recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) You read fat is not our enemy, but with this buns we were literally swimming in it :-)
    I've cheated on the butter and the brioche was still yummy (needed more salt and sugar, though.
    Unfortunately I did not like the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous looking sticky buns, Guyla! We really loved these, too! How could you not? My Kitchen aid handled it well, also! It did get a bit warm towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sticky topping was indeed a bit much. The quote from Julia Child in The Way to Cook said brioche dough is "not for the fat or faint of heart". She understood some things are for special occasions only. I love that her emphasis was having a little bit of the "real" thing, rather than the fake food we are bombarded with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder why your "sticky" topping was actually sticky but mine was not. I would love to solve this mystery! They look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photo! We lost a lot of our topping to leaking springforms, so it's nice to see an actually sticky Sticky Bun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photo looks delicious. Glad you liked them, and kudos for finding support that all the ingredients are "good for us"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful looking sticky buns! I reduced the quotient of butter in my topping as I got scared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have frozen half...too much temptation having these in my kitchen! Yours look lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An "obscene" amount of butter is an understatement ! But ooh so good and yours look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I was just watching Julia today and her guest said, "life is not worth it without a little cholesterol!". I thought that was really funny, especially given this week's twd recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great! I agree that the sticky topping could have been a little less sticky. I think I prefer frosting, but then that's me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your buns look fab. I have a very sweet tooth so I loved the sticky topping, but I thought the buns tasted too much of butter for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wondered if they would be too sugary sweet. Yours look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! I have the other half of the dough in my freezer. My partner is going a dog sitting tonight... I think I'll have a sticky bun for dinner! (the things we do alone..!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been reading Nina Planck too. It made me feel better about all of the butter, but worse about all of the white flour. Oh well. I still think these are an incredible occasional treat.

    ReplyDelete