Thursday, January 20, 2011

FFwD - Michael Rostang's Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

This is a delicious little cake...very similar to the Flourless Chocolate Cake in my Williams Sonoma cake cookbook that I've made many times.  My sister bakes Molly Wizenberg's chocolate cake and says its easy and delicious; that recipe is also very similar.  Seems like most of us had issues with the batter oozing under the rim of the pan as it cooked.  I think that's an easy fix if we just leave the pan in tact, which is what I'll do next time.   Dorie is right with this recipe, its best when baked twice and served cold.  We liked it at room temperature but we loved it the next day when it was cold.  While we really enjoyed this cake its time intensive and Williams Sonoma Flourless Chocolate Cake is just as good and simpler to make.  While I want to try it again using the pan as a whole instead of setting the ring on a baking sheet I don't think it will become a regular at our house.  Be sure to go by the French Friday website to see how the other cooks fared.
www.frenchfridayswithdorie.com

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm...I love the composition of your photo...the cake, cream, cocoa powder...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did't have issues with the butter, because I forgot to put it in..:)! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know I wasn't the only one with an oozing problem. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cocoa powder looks wonderful on the cake - great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that using a parchment lined spring form may have been the way to go on this one. It was good though & it is neat to see everyone's take on the different variations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments on my photo. The food photography is sometimes more challenging than the cooking, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete