Friday, October 11, 2013

FFwD - Boeuf á la Mode (aka Great Pot Roast)

French Pot Roast!

This is a great pot roast. I made it for Gary's birthday. He had a long day at the river working the Head of the Oklahoma, our rowing group's biggest event of the year. I had this ready when he came home and he was a very happy and grateful hubby!

It was easy to prepare. Dorie suggests marinading the beef over night in a red wine but I skipped this step. I'm curious to see if others did the marinade and what they thought. I was concerned it would mask the beef taste. Anyway after browning the meat and veg I poured in the liquid and stuck it in the oven for a braise.  Tender and flavorful were the results!


While +IFBC so many people asked me my favorite recipe from our Dorie project and I never had a great answer. As I was plating this meal I realized gremolata is my favorite recipe or technique or whatever you would call it from my French Friday experience. I love the way it turns pot roast into something special. I think it is the technique I use most from Around My French Table and it makes everything taste fresh and elevates a dish to the next level!


The best ingredients make the best cake! Thank you @Scharffen Berger Chocolate and @Lagrima!
The next day we had a family birthday party for Gary. It was good to have everyone together and the cake was wonderful. If I had more time I would write out the recipe but I'll save that for a future post. Dorie has a wonderful recipe for a flourless chocolate cake called Michel Rostang's Double Chocolate Mousse Cake that I should have made. I've just been making the other one for so long I kind of forgot about my new recipe. They are actually pretty similar though. I used my +IFBC goodies for the cake! That's an entire post in itself!

Baby B had too much fun and needed a rest!  He had a small piece of cake and a spoon of ice cream then turned to me and said "I want more cake." Cracked me up!

Visit all the Doristas at French Fridays with Dorie. I'm still working on last week's posts comments but will make it all eventually! Happy cooking!
Too much fun or too much cake?

16 comments:

  1. Your roast looks classic... great looking gravy and I think mashed potatoes are the best with this. The cake looks really special and the pic of Baby B is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I can't even remember making gremolata in the past 3 years - we've made so much!!! What a wonderful festive dinner this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Guyla, That chocolate cake is making me drool! I’d skip the ice cream, too! I have to pull out my book and check out the gremolata…I don’t remember it. Your dinner looks delicious, no wonder Gary was a happy hubby! Gorgeous grandbaby, he is just too cute! I am so glad we got to meet in Seattle…it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great birthday meal for Gary! I marinated overnight...and the wine flavor didn't overwhelm the dish...just added flavor and (I think) tenderized, too. Baby B is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww - sweet little guy :-)
    The roast & the cake look wonderful, but I am kind of in love with that cake stand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post screams comfort food, Guyla! I wish I could chill like Baby B.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the roast - your plate packs full of belly warming goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your grandbaby is getting the right training! I'm glad your dinner was a hit with the birthday boy. Gremolata on top was a great idea. I also would have a hard time putting my finger on my favorite recipe from AMFT, yet I feel like I now have a bag of new techniques that I draw on all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks perfect and so delicious. Love the photo of your grandson, so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pot roast looks delicious and I love the chocolate cake. Baby B is adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Baby B! I think chocolate cake of any kind goes down well. You were clever not to marinate the roast - that turned it into quite a production.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To think I skipped the gremolata with the short ribs! I need to revisit that one soon and actually get it done.

    I don't remember recalling my favorite FFwD recipe... there have been too many surprising mouthfuls along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There something about how a roast brings a family together. I love this recipe and have made it several times. It's always a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Bday Gary ! This was a post of pure comfort, evidenced by your gorgeous Baby B (that photo is PRICELESS !!!). Love that you used the swag for that amazing cake. My mouth waters just looking at it. And great job on the pot roast. I was running so late that of course I had no time to even think of straying from the recipe so dumped the wine right in and away it marinated, The color difference was amazing but I was too scared to add veggies (and late, did I mention late :) thinking they would taste like wine. Next time for sure. And I am with you on catching up with posts- we have all had so much posting, photos to share and IFBC posts to write that it has been an especially busy time. But fun. Always fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL Guyla! :)

    That happens to me all the time! I get stuck on a recipe and forget other fun ones I want to try or make again...

    Lovely birthday for Gary - beautiful cake! I'm sure Baby B would want to just sit there with that cake all day long! :) I know I would! - err... my kiddos I mean, I "dont eat" cake... I DEVOUR them... LOL!

    Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun post! I love that you skipped the marinating. Next time I think I'll do the same. The cake is also quite lovely, as is the photo of Baby B sleeping.

    ReplyDelete