Friday, December 9, 2011

FFwD - Chard-Stuffed Pork Roast

This is good! I mean it...this is seriously good!  I have never stuffed a pork loin before and it was easy, easy, easy.

Along side the roast I served mashed potatoes and black-eyed peas. Black-eyed peas that Aunt Ellen grew in Tennessee, put in her freezer and brought us over Thanksgiving.

My husband was in heaven and thinks we should have this exact meal for our Christmas dinner!


One thing I would do differently though is save the lovely red chard for another recipe.  Pork oozing red is a bit disconcerting to some.  Red is all my grocery store had, though, and I wasn't driving all over town hoping to find green chard.  It is lovely, isn't it?

The recipe calls for coriander seeds along with peppercorns to be crushed and rubbed (and salt, of course) on the outside of the roast but I used ground coriander and ground pepper and added just a bit of garlic to the mix for a delicious and spicy crust.

French Friday cooks are asked to not post the recipe but its already on the web at The Sated Palate.  If you want to try this recipe before you buy the book who could blame you?

Check out what the other French Friday cooks have to say about Chard-Stuffed Pork Roast and thanks for stopping by!


11 comments:

  1. Mmm, I think I would rather have a nice serving of those black eyed peas you mention. Love those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting observations, I was actually jealous that everyone else was able to find red chard. Since chard is not yet in season here I considered myself lucky to find any at all, but that red is awfully pretty all chopped up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are funny - I thought the red in some of Doristas pork (from either the chard or substituting dried cranberries for the raisins) actually looked festive! I agree, this is a wonderful recipe that merits repeating soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I did not think about the pork oozing red...not good, but we couldn't find chard this week anyway and used spinach so we were OK...even better than OK...this dish is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. I didn't notice the red so much in ours chard once everything was cut up & cooked - but I can see where it could be a turn off.
    Glad you enjoyed - the black eyed peas do sound like the perfect side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We loved this one too! I left out the stems of my chard for that very reason - was concerned about how it looking pretty gnarly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to see you back! Glad you enjoyed this one, too~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back - I missed you! Your roast is perfectly browned, Lola. Lovely job! How neat that you have home grown black-eyed peas. Those are a must to serve with the New Year's ham! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back! I also missed you. I didn't get to make this one but have it on my make up list. Yours looks wonderful! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back glad you all enjoyed your chard stuffed roast. It does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back! I skipped the past couple of weeks, but this one looks fantastic. I think this would make a perfect Christmas dinner, black-eyed peas and all!

    ReplyDelete